about medical marijuana
We are not currently signing up patients in VA. Subscribe to our waitlist to be notified the second we are booking new appointments in Virginia.
This is How You Will Get a Medical Marijuana Card in Virginia
The Status of Cannabis Legalization in Virginia
Virginia recently passed a law that narrowly approves medical marijuana use for some people, but the substance largely remains illegal. As more and more states as making marijuana legal in some form, it is important for people in Virginia to understand the laws and consequences of activity surrounding it. Currently, the state does not permit the use of marijuana in any form for nearly all people. Under Virginia law, possession of marijuana is considered a misdemeanor charge. People who are caught with the drug may face jail time. Further, an individual may suffer license suspension.
According to the Marijuana Policy Project, Virginia did pass a law earlier this year that gives some protection to people who use marijuana medicinally. HB 1445 provides a defense for people who fit the following requirements:
- They must have intractable epilepsy.
- The marijuana extract must have no more than 5 percent THC.
- The marijuana extract must have at least 15 percent of cannabidiol or THC-A.
It is important to point out that even when someone fits this description, he or she may still be arrested. Anyone who has questions about this matter should consult with an attorney.
Virginia Board of Pharmacy chose the five companies to be the state’s first medical marijuana dispensaries. In a release issued by Virginia NORML, the five companies granted conditional licenses are:
- PharmaCann Virginia (HSA I) – the largest vertically-integrated and unified medical cannabis company operating in highly regulated states, with six licenses in Illinois and five in New York.
- Dalitso (HSA II) – a Virginia-based company with strong ties to the community.
- Dharma Pharmaceuticals (HSA III) – a Virginia-based company that plans to locate in the old Bristol Mall, currently owned by Par Ventures, a stakeholder in the company.
- Green Leaf Medical of Virginia (HSA IV) – has been awarded a stage 2 license to cultivate medical cannabis in Maryland.
- Columbia Care (HSA V) – operates dispensaries in Arizona, Massachusetts, New York, Illinois, Washington, D.C., California, Delaware, Puerto Rico, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Florida.