As the leaves begin to turn vibrant orange and the weather starts to cool down, we find ourselves yearning for those seasonal flavors that help us glide into the fall spirit! Caramel popcorn is one of those nostalgic autumn comfort foods that’ll instantly transform your mood and satisfy that sweet tooth craving. If you want to add a little uplifting pizzazz to your caramel popcorn, take a look at this cannabis-infused recipe!
- ½ cup cannabutter (to reduce potency, use ¼ cup regular butter and ¼ cup cannabutter)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 8 cups of plain unseasoned popped popcorn (both air-popped or microwave will do)
- Pop your popcorn and set aside in a large mixing bowl. For air-popped corn, use ¼ cup of kernels to yield approximately 8 cups of popcorn.
- Preheat oven to 250° and line two separate baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside for later.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the corn syrup, brown sugar, and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Keep a close eye on it to avoid burning the sugar. Burnt sugar will taste very bitter.
- Lower the heat and bring the boil to a simmer. Let simmer for about 1 ½ minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in the baking soda and vanilla extract. Continue stirring until the frothy mixture begins to gently thicken.
- Work quickly to pour the sauce all over the popcorn in the bowl and toss with a silicon spatula to evenly coat.
- Spread the coated popcorn across both baking sheets in a single layer so that it will cook evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Take it out from the oven, break up the pieces and return to bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove and let popcorn cool before serving.
This caramel popcorn tastes so good, it will be incredibly hard to put down! Be extra careful to portion yourself and not to eat too much. You don’t want to accidentally cause yourself to have a wildly mind-altering experience. To keep your caramel popcorn fresh, store it in an airtight container and eat within a week. Stay lifted and enjoy this fall weather treat!