I know what you’re thinking… how can a plant that is notorious for giving people munchies also promote weight-loss? Well its’ a little more complicated than a simple yes… but yes, it’s possible. You can use cannabis to lose weight through the appetite suppressant cannabinoid or through using the infamous munchies to your advantage. Research shows that cannabis consumers are a slimmer population compared to those who do not consume cannabis. Before we get into how cannabis can be used for weight loss and which strains are best, let’s have a look at the cannabinoids involved.
THCV is an Appetite Suppressant
We all know that Cannabidiol (CBD) is widely used and researched for its’ medicinal properties. It makes sense to assume that this cannabinoid would also be involved in the process of weight-loss. However, it does not suppress or stimulate appetite and metabolism at all. Thankfully, cannabis plants have many cannabinoids, just like the human body. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) are two cannabinoids that play significant roles in our appetite and metabolism while under the influence of cannabis. THC stimulates your appetite and is responsible for the munchies, while THCV acts as an appetite suppressant. Cannabis consumers are less likely to be overweight or obese due to researchers’ hypothesis that THC causes changes in gut microbiome which helps to regulate weight loss and digestion.
If you are looking to eat-less and suppress your appetite, then THCV is cannabinoid you’re looking for. THCV has gained fame for its rarity and health benefits. It also acts as a block against the receptors that respond to THC. Along with suppressing your appetite, THCV increases the energy you spend and reduces glucose intolerance.
The American Journal of Botany tested over 157 plants around the world for their THCV content. They found that the highest THCV content found in cannabis plants that originate from South African and parts of Afghanistan. The highest testing flower for THCV at the 2014 High Time Times Seattle U.S Cannabis Cup was Durban Poison. It is important to remember that not all strains of cannabis contain THCV so choosing the right one is important, especially if you only start consuming cannabis for weight-loss and appetite suppressing.
Cannabis Strains That Promote Appetite Suppression:
- Tangie (Skunk lineage)
- Girl Scout Cookies (Durban Poison lineage)
- Durban Poison
- Jack the Ripper
- Dutch Treat
- Skunk #1
- Doug’s Varin (bred for THCV content)
- Willie Nelson (bred for THCV content)
It is believed that consumers who use strains that share a lineage with the above strains will also benefit from THCV. If you have chosen to consume THCV strains simply for weight-loss, try micro-dosing.
If you are a frequent cannabis consumer and are looking to lose weight, then keep smoking on and make a few changes to your choice of snacks and meals. Conventional advice suggests that one should eat less to lose weight while many health nuts and gym junkies believe that the key to losing fat is to eat more… but to eat more of the right types of food. If you do not exercise and eat well for your body, consuming cannabis that does not contain THCV will not lead to weight-loss, it will simply prevent weight-gain. Manipulating the munchies for your benefit may be more work, but it is worth it seeing as though you can continue to eat a lot while losing weight. When you eat more nutritious and quality foods, you’re more physically and emotionally satisfied than when you spend your energy on restricting yourself.
Tips For Munchies And Weight Loss:
- Trade sugary treats such as chocolate for healthier alternatives such as fruit (my personal favorite is strawberries- sometimes covered in 80% cocoa dark chocolate)
- Instead of bread, opt for rice cakes and whole-grain cracker bread.
- Exchange chips/crisps for popcorn, nuts or seeds.
- Drink lots of water.
- Trade sodas/cold drinks for home-made ice-teas.
- Don’t buy junk food. If your household has no junk for you to eat, you won’t have any junk to eat when you have the munchies.
- Do not rush your snacking. Take your time and really enjoy what you’re tasting. This will help avoid over-eating.
- Educate yourself on healthier and yummy recipes. Eating healthy does not have to be boring or bland. (check out the recipe for a healthier alternative to conventional brownies below)
- Most importantly: PREPARE. Make snacks and food before you consume cannabis. This gives you control over what you put in your body.
- Remember, your body is a machine and should be given the correct fuel to run at its’ best.
Like all weight-loss strategies, frequent exercise is key to weight-loss although your eating habits will determine whether you succeed or fail in your quest. To benefit from THCVs appetite suppressant or THCs munchies, you can consume them as usual… through a jay, bong, oil or whatever your personal preference is. Besides weight-loss, cannabis cannabinoids have many benefits to your health which comes as a package when consuming it. Take charge of your health and weight, stay lifted and happy strain hunting.