A Survey Reveals 60% of People Would Get High With Their Grandparents
October 28, 2021 08:00 am ET
Estimated Read Time: 4 Minutes
Would you get high with your grandparents? Cannabis edible company Azuca asked this question to 1,089 people across the United States and found that 60% of the cannabis consumers who participated would indeed toke up with Gram and Gramps. Times are changing, and while this would have been an obvious “no” from most folks not long ago, many are open to the idea of enjoying some cannabis with the g-rents.
The Americans and Cannabis Consumption Survey
The Americans and Cannabis Consumption Survey aimed to examine Americans’ habits and preferences surrounding their cannabis use. The survey was conducted online and had a total of 1,089 respondents ranging between 18 and 60+ years of age. By asking diverse questions about topics like consumption at work and pain management, Azuca was able to uncover some interesting findings about cannabis consumption behavior. However, more research is required given the small sample size.
In addition to finding that a majority of respondents would consume cannabis with their grandparents, the survey’s results showed that over half (52%) prefer gummy edibles to smoking or vaping. Other key findings from the survey include:
- 70% can differentiate between THC and CBD.
- 58% believe cannabis is the future of pain management.
- 64% consume for relaxation, 40% consume for pain management, and 43% consume for sleep aid.
- 38% consume daily, 15% consume monthly, 18% consume weekly, and 39% consume a few times a year.
- About one-third find it acceptable to consume cannabis during work hours.
How To Talk the Green With Your Grands
While some seniors already partake in cannabis consumption, many do not. So how do you go about discussing such a touchy topic with your grandparents? Granted that your grandparent is in a good enough state of health to withstand the effects of cannabis (which you should definitely investigate), the conversation doesn’t have to be a hard one. And if the act of smoking poses a problem, you can always offer them gummies, chocolate, or cannabis drinks for your fun night in.
GQ writer Liza Corsillo outlined in her article “How To Smoke Weed With Your Grandma” a few suggestions for approaching your grandma or grandpa with cannabis in hand.
- Get a conversation about cannabis going by asking them some questions about cannabis-related topics, such as what they think of cannabis legalization or cannabis as medication.
- Take note of how they respond to the initial conversation. If they seem uncomfortable or angry, it might be time to back off. If they appear to be open-minded, trudge on.
- Take the pressure off with some lighthearted activities to get your grandparent comfortable. Tell a funny story, watch a silly show, play an amusing game—then, tell them you might have some adult treats (wink wink) lying around somewhere.
- No matter how your grandparent responds to your offer, maintain a positive outlook. Even if they refuse to participate, appreciate the fact that you’ve learned about one another’s views.
Should You Smoke With Your Grandparents?
Unless your grandparent has a medical condition, it’s unlikely cannabis consumption would be harmful to them. In fact, a study published in 2021 found that more seniors are experimenting with cannabis. That said, it’s important to check with a family physician or medical marijuana doctor to make sure your grandparent can safely consume cannabis if they have not done so recently (or ever).
Additionally, cannabis has the potential to give senior citizens a higher quality of life by reducing dependence on pharmaceutical drugs. If your grandparent has a condition that causes inflammation or pain, they might even want to check out cannabis as a health aid to alleviate their symptoms. All in all, getting stoned with the grands could lead to memories of a lifetime—just make sure everyone involved is safe and comfortable.
Author, Share & Comments