Cannabis and CBD for Eating Disorders
Eating disorders are serious conditions that can affect your health, your emotions and your ability to function in important areas of life. Anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating disorder are the most common eating disorders. Many eating disorders have too much emphasis on your weight, body shape, and nutrition, which results in risky eating behavior. Such activities can significantly influence the ability of your body to receive adequate food. An eating disorder can harm the heart, the digestive system, bones, and teeth and mouth.
The facts concerning food disorders according to the Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders National Association include:
- In the United States, at least 30 million individuals of every age and gender are suffering from an eating disorder.
- Every 62 minutes, at least one person dies of an eating disorder.
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate for all mental illnesses.
- 13% of women older than 50 engage in behavior with eating disorders.
What is an Eating Disorder?
An eating disorder is when you have an unhealthy eating habit that can take over your life and make you sick. You can either eat too much or too little or be obsessed with the shape of your body and weight. Yet therapies can support and heal from an eating disorder.
An eating disorder may be found in men and women of all ages, but young women aged 13 to 17 years are most often affected.
Symptoms of Eating Disorders
An eating-disordered person may disclose several signs and symptoms, some of which are:
- Chronic dieting despite being hazardously underweight
- Constant weight fluctuations
- Obsession with calories and fat contents of food
- Engage in habits of ceremonial eating like the cutting of food into small parts, eating alone and/or hiding food
- Continued fastening with food, recipes or cooking; people may cook intricate meals for others but refrain from participating.
- Depression or lethargic stage
- Avoiding personal, family and friends’ activities. May be isolated and withdrawn
- Change between overeating and fasting cycles
How Cannabis Can Help Relieve the Symptoms of Eating Disorders
Medical cannabis addresses symptoms in a few ways of those relative to eating disorders.
A patient is provided with “munchies” by stimulating the senses of their body in a brain section called insula. The insula allows us to integrate the sensory aspects of food such as flavor, taste, hunger and oral texture while responding to the rewarding properties of food. Cannabis makes you taste and smell more thoroughly so that you want to eat more.
This addresses a mental level of eating disorders. In this, too, the insula plays a role. Emotions, emotions and sensory perceptions converge in this part of the brain
Anxiety about food in people with anorexia, but medical weeds are beneficial. It activates the brain section and induces reduced CB1 receptors in people with an eating disorder, which makes eating a relaxing and enjoyable experience.
Medical Cannabis Treatment for Eating Disorders
Although there are various methods to ingest medical cannabis for eating disorders, you may be looking for a healthier option. Smoking is not the healthiest way to consume marijuana, although it is popular.
Below are therefore some recommendations for methods that do not require you to smoke — vaping is not the same as smoking.
- CBD oil
- CBD vaping inhaler
There are even some specific strains that can suppress appetites.